I used a basic chocolate sugar cookie recipe as the base of my Chocolate Fudge Bars. Then I made a delicious sweet and sticky fudge to top the cookie base with, after which melted chocolate tops it off.
- 1 cup softened butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup of cocoa powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ tin sweetened condensed milk
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 1 x 150 gr milk chocolate slab
- 1First off, make the cookie dough by combining the butter, sugar and egg – whisking until light and fluffy.
- 2Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix until you have a manageable dough, cling wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 3Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, prepare a baking tin of 16 x 26 cm and push the cookie dough into the bottom of the tin. Bake for 12 min. Leave to cool.
- 4For the fudge; combine the butter, sugar and condensed milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking thoroughly until you have a brown caramel.
- 5Remove from heat, add the vanilla essence, whisk it through and gently cover the cookie base with fudge. Refrigerate for at least 30 min, until set.
- 6Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and cover the fudge with the melted chocolate. Send the tin back to the fridge until the chocolate is set. Slice and enjoy.